Over the past few years, the Government has been encouraging businesses to make more of their staff by investing in their training and development.

One of the best ways to do this is by using the Apprenticeship Levy – a fund set up to help businesses pay for apprenticeship training through a registered provider such as Bright Direction Training.

In a nutshell, the Apprenticeship Levy lets you to invest in apprenticeship training with a contribution from the Government.

About the Apprenticeship Levy

The Apprenticeship Levy was set up in April 2017 to help businesses take responsibility for training and developing their staff.

Under the scheme, any business with a wage bill of £3m or more per year has to pay 0.5% of their total payroll costs into a fund for apprenticeship training. The Government then tops up their fund by a further 10% of its balance each month.

But even if you don’t have a wage bill of anything like £3m per year, you can still take advantage of Government funding and get a Government contribution towards your staff training.

That’s a great opportunity for small businesses to get fully trained, fully qualified staff at a fraction of the normal cost. So why not speak to our apprenticeship experts here at Bright Direction Training about our courses in Leadership and Management to see how we can help?

using the apprenticeship levy scheme

Using the Apprenticeship Levy Scheme

If your business is above the £3m wage threshold, you’ll pay your 0.5% contribution to HMRC each month through the PAYE system. Then, you can use all the money in your Apprenticeship Levy pot – plus the 10% top up from the Government – to pay for apprenticeship training.

To make it easier to manage the whole process, you set up an Apprenticeship Levy account online. This lets you access your funds, search for apprenticeship courses and pay your training provider.

Great News for Non Levy paying businesses

All you need to do is pay 5% towards the cost of an apprenticeship – and the Government will pay the other 95%!

If your wage bill is below £3m, you simply pay 5% of your apprenticeship training costs direct to your provider, who then apply to the Government for the remaining 95%.

frequently asked questions about the apprenticeship levy

Some Frequently Asked Questions About the Apprenticeship Levy

At first glance, the Apprenticeship funding can seem a little confusing, especially for small businesses with so many other things on their plate. But our team at Bright Direction Training are experts in the apprenticeship scheme and we are ready and waiting to help with any questions you have.

Here are some of the ones we hear most often:

Can I use the Apprenticeship Levy to pay for other training that isn’t apprenticeships?

Any money raised in the Apprenticeship Levy must be spent on training alone, not things like apprentices’ salaries, expenses and travel costs.

Questions about the apprenticeship levy

Some Frequently Asked Questions About the Apprenticeship Levy

Can I save up the money in my Apprenticeship Levy pot to spend later?

On a rolling 24 month basis. After that, any money and contributions will be taken back by the Government. This is to stop businesses ‘hoarding’ their funds instead of using them to develop their staff.

Can I use the Levy to pay for apprenticeships in other countries?

Only the English apprenticeship system is supported by the Levy so the amount of finance available will depend on the number of employees you have living in England.

take advantage of the apprenticeship levy today

Take advantage of the Apprenticeship Levy today

The Apprenticeship Levy makes it easy and economical to get all the benefits of structured apprenticeship training in your business:  New management and leadership skills; better staff retention and loyalty; improved efficiency and customer service; increased knowledge and added value for your business…

Plus, of course, a recognised qualification from your management training apprenticeship provider Bright Direction Training.

Once you’ve decided on the right candidates from your team, get in touch with us and we’ll help you decide which course is most suitable for you and your apprentices to get the most from this fantastic opportunity.

FOR MORE INFORMATION DOWNLOAD OUR FULL GUIDE ON THE APPRENTICESHIP LEVY SCHEME.

Call 01204 859859 or email info@brightdirectiontraining.co.uk

Enquire now







Contact bright direction for more information

Looking for training but not sure which courses are right for you or your business?

Call 01204 859859 or email info@brightdirectiontraining.co.uk

Or click here to visit our contact page

Education & Skills Funding Agency
Eu Social Fund
Disability Confidence
Matrix QM

Menu

European Union Social Fund